Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cupcakes EXIST in Barcelona!!

If you don’t already know, I have a small obsession with cupcakes-both baking and eating them alike. So I was elated when I came across a cute specialty cupcake store in Barcelona really close to the university! I had asked my host mom previously if she knew about cupcakes, and she said she wasn’t really sure. Most Spaniards I have asked about cupcakes (if they knew the word for “cupcake” in Spanish), responded with Spanish words that are the equivalent of “muffin” and “tart.” I think cupcakes, especially the really sweet kind with rich frosting and moist cake, are primarily an American phenomenon. Traditional Spanish desserts sway more to the side of drier cakes with fruit on top. Chocolate and bready items like croissants are consumed as snacks during the day, and fruit is considered a dessert item. However, the cupcake I did have at the “Cup&Cake” bakery (brownie with cream cheese frosting!) was delicious, although I still prefer my Sprinkles and Georgetown Cupcake cupcakes back home. Also, for the record, I asked the woman working at the cupcake store how to say cupcake in Spanish. Guess what, it’s “CUPCAKE”.

No comments:

Post a Comment